If you just bought a house in 2009 (before December 1, 2009), and you are a first time home buyer, I have good news for you.  Even if you’ve already filed your 2008 tax return, you can amend your 2008 tax return and claim the $8,000 credit and get your money back now; faster than if you waited to claim the credit on your 2009 tax return!  Form 5405 for the tax year 2008 has been updated to reflect the purchase of a home in 2009 which can be claimed in 2008. 

If you’ve never owned a home, at least within the last three years, and haven’t considered buying a house, now is the time to consider it.  Passing up $8,000 is almost out of the question in this economy.  Listen to the IRS talk about it here (… and in spanish!).